Singapore’s only social enterprise festival returns for a second year this August. FestivalForGood will be held on 19 August 2017 at the recently-launched lyf@SMU from 12noon to 10pm. This festival will showcase the nation’s social enterprises and celebrate their spirit of innovation and passion to do good through their business. We attended last year’s Festival and it was really good. I’m sure this year’s will be even better.
Organised by the Singapore Centre for Social Enterprise (raiSE), FestivalForGood 2017 will feature over 70 social enterprises servicing diverse sectors with a wide range of unique activities spanning fashion, lifestyle and F&B, to technology, health and wellness, such as:
- A pop up market featuring socially-conscious merchandise, clothing, accessories, lifestyle products and services, and more;
- Immersive sensory adventures, from a meditative tea appreciation session facilitated by the hearing-impaired to navigating an exhibition in the dark while guided by the visually-impaired;
- Intimate and inspiring conversations with passionate social entrepreneurs on innovating with art and technology, conscious consumerism and business sustainability;
- Delectable food bites from social enterprises that employ or serve the disadvantaged.
This year’s FestivalForGood also features a series of interactive and experiential activities across the island throughout the month of August, from coffee-brewing, leather crafting and upcycling workshops to concerts for seniors, yoga classes and life-saving CPR training. Check out this webpage for more info:
Hosted by social enterprises, partners and supporters, these events will provide the public with a behind-the- scenes view of how businesses are creating meaningful and sustainable impact in Singapore.
Singapore’s social enterprise sector has been growing rapidly in recent years, with raiSE’s over 400 social enterprise members meeting social needs through creative and sustainable business models. Against this backdrop, FestivalForGood aims to encourage the public to create positive impact by supporting local social enterprises.
Just some of the social enterprises you can expect to find at this year’s festival include:
- GOOD KRAMA – empowering individuals from at-risk communities to design and craft merchandise ranging from clothing to leather accessories;
- EDEN+ELIE – providing opportunities to artisans from disadvantaged backgrounds to showcase their designs and products to the world;
- Dialogue in the Dark – experience a journey into a world without sight with an experiential tour in complete darkness;
- Hush TeaBar – sample smoothing tea in complete silence while feeling rejuvenated at their tea appreciation sessions facilitated by the hearing-impaired;
- The Nail Social – pamper yourself with a mani-pedi;
- Hello Flowers – dabble in flower arrangement and support their programmes that empower, train and employ disadvantaged women;
- Flourish Culinary – savour delectable food bites and grab one of their special treats baked by students with special needs;
- The Ugly Cake Shop – great cakes (one of our favourites) baked using all-natural ingredients and without artificial colouring and flavourings, while contributing to school nutrition funds in Timor Leste;
- Ahmahgawd – offering over 100 healthy and nutritious bento options tailored for various dietary needs and provides employment opportunities for disadvantaged groups.
This is just a snippet of the many things that you can expect to see, do and experience at FestivalForGood this year! We’re really excited about the upcoming festival and I’m sure you will be blessed and inspired too. Make the date and we’ll see you there.
19 August 2017, 12noon-10pm
lyf@SMU – former MPH Building at Stamford Road
Free Admission – but do register to receive the free Tote Bag